Immediate steps to take after a loss to your home and/or property:
- Look for potential safety risks.
- Take reasonable steps to prevent further damage.
- If the loss was caused by theft, notify the police.
- Make a written list of what was damaged, destroyed or stolen (write down any info you can remember about the property).
- If a credit card has been stolen, notify the issuing financial institution immediately.
- Keep an accurate record of repair expenditures.
- Separate items that can be cleaned or repaired.
- Check with your claims representative before discarding any items you plan to claim as damaged.
- Review your policy for specific coverage information.