Homeowners Claims - Kentucky Farm Bureau

Homeowners Claims

The following provides general claim information, but please keep in mind that every claim is different and must be considered in the context of the particular policy and any endorsements that you may have in place.  Each policy has specific terms and conditions that detail your coverages.  The following information is not intended to modify any of the terms or conditions in your individual policy.

Immediate steps to take after a loss to your home and/or property:

  • Look for potential safety risks.
  • Take reasonable steps to prevent further damage.
  • If the loss was caused by theft, notify the police.
  • Make a written list of what was damaged, destroyed or stolen (write down any info you can remember about the property).
  • If a credit card has been stolen, notify the issuing financial institution immediately.
  • Keep an accurate record of repair expenditures.
  • Separate items that can be cleaned or repaired.
  • Check with your claims representative before discarding any items you plan to claim as damaged.
  • Review your policy for specific coverage information.

Will my premium increase or my policy be cancelled if I file a claim?

Depending on your claims history, the dollar amount of past claims and the frequency of claims, you may incur an increase on your policy. To help keep our rates affordable for all KFB members, we must occasionally cancel a policy if a policyholder becomes a high risk – for example, by filing multiple claims within a brief period of time or taking unnecessary risks. Please contact your KFB Insurance agent for additional information.

Should I file a claim if my damage is less than my deductible?

Filing a claim may help you if other related damages are discovered at a later date. There is no requirement for you to submit a claim if the known damages are less than your deductible.

Should I start making repairs before you inspect the damage?

We know you're eager to start putting your home back together, and you should take steps to protect your property from further damage – cover broken windows and gaps in the roof or exterior walls, etc. Otherwise it is important for an inspection by a claims representative before repairs are performed to identify all of the damages that may be covered by your policy, ensuring the estimate for damages is accurate. 

Will my claim be covered?

There are a number of factors to consider before answering this question. Such as what coverages you purchased in your Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance policy? What was the cause of the loss or damage? What property was lost or damaged? Contact your Local Farm Bureau to discuss the coverage afforded under your policy or speak to a claims representative to ask specific questions.

My son/daughter is away at college and had some property stolen from his/her apartment. Are the losses covered?

Your Homeowners Policy generally covers up to 10% of your policy amount for items located away from your home. This includes possessions with children away at college. Please contact your local Farm Bureau agent or claims representative for further information. 

What's a deductible?

A deductible is the dollar amount of the claim you are responsible to pay. If you have a $500 deductible, generally you will be responsible for the first $500 of any claim for your property that you file and then Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance will pay the remainder. You choose the deductible on your policy when you purchase insurance. A higher deductible lowers the price of your premium.

To whom do I pay the deductible?

We typically reduce the amount paid to you by the amount of your deductible. You will usually pay the deductible to the contractor or repair person upon completion of repairs.

Does KFB protect me if I am sued?

Should any party allege that you or any insured under your policy is responsible for bodily injury or property damage, Kentucky Farm Bureau will conduct an investigation to assess the allegations. If you receive notice of a lawsuit filed against you, please notify your KFB agent and claims representative immediately, as there are very short time periods to respond to lawsuits.

If my home is uninhabitable, will you cover a hotel stay?

If your policy has additional living expenses coverage and a direct physical loss makes your home uninhabitable, then we will pay for the reasonable increase in living expenses necessary to maintain your normal standard of living. Check your policy for coverage and limits. Keep receipts for additional living expenses you pay out of pocket. A claim representative or your local Farm Bureau agent can answer questions about this coverage.

Do I need to file a police report for property damage or loss due to theft?

Yes. Your policy requires you to file a report with the appropriate authorities.

My home was damaged by burglars. Am I covered?

Depending on your individual policy there may be coverage for such damage. If you purchased dwelling insurance, you should be covered. To confirm coverage, please consult your local Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance agent or a claims representative.

My home has been damaged by a flood. Am I covered?

In Kentucky, flood insurance is a Federal program and not administered by Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance. Many of our agents sell flood insurance through this federal program, but the coverage is not administered by Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance. If you have a separate flood insurance policy, you should be covered for flood-related damages and can report a claim by calling your agent. You can also report the claim online at https://sfb.managemyfloodpolicy.com and choosing the “report a claim” option.  They can select this option without having to sign into the website. You can also file a flood insurance claim by calling 1-800-647-8052 from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST.  Learn more about this program at the program’s official website: www.FloodSmart.gov.

Is my property covered for damages caused by natural disasters and/or acts of God?

Often the answer is yes but all claims are investigated and evaluated on their individual merits.  Your Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance agent or claim representative can discuss your specific situation with you.

What if I do not have all the information needed – should I wait to file a claim?

No. Please file your claim as soon as possible after the loss occurs. As additional information develops, provide it to your Kentucky Farm Bureau claims representative. We will gladly review additional documentation and conduct additional investigation if warranted. 

What do I need to show proof of ownership for stolen property?

All of the following can help in showing proof of ownership for stolen property: receipts, owner’s manuals, product packaging, appraisals, photos, and videos. In addition, we recommend recording each room of your home with a video camera and keeping the information in a fireproof safe or safe deposit box.

Can I choose the contractor who repairs my property?

Yes. We suggest you seek out contractors with a proven reputation and track record in your area. To help ensure you choose a reliable contractor, we recommend the following steps:

  • Get recommendations from friends, relatives and business associates
  • Get references from contractors you interview and check those references
  • Contact your local Better Business Bureau office or website for information on contractors you’re considering.
  • Don’t sign a contract until you’ve reviewed it carefully and have agreed to payment terms
  • Make sure the contractor has been doing business in your area for some time.