Catastrophe Claims - Kentucky Farm Bureau

Catastrophe Claims

The following provides general claim information, but please keep in mind that every claim is different and must be considered in the context of the particular policy and any endorsements that you may have in place.  Each policy has specific terms and conditions that detail your coverages.  The following information is not intended to modify any of the terms or conditions in your individual policy.

Make sure you're prepared to deal with catastrophes. Creating a catastrophe survival kit will save time and frustration if a catastrophe strikes. Make sure each person in your household reviews the contents and knows where your survival kit is stored.

Some items you may want to include:

  • Canned/non-perishable food items
  • Non-electric can opener
  • First aid kit and manual
  • Portable radio/TV
  • Flashlights
  • Extra batteries
  • Water in non-breakable containers
  • Prescription medications
  • Extra clothing/blankets
  • Cash/credit cards for emergencies
  • Copy of insurance policies

What's the difference between a regular claim and a catastrophic claim?

Though there isn’t really a difference in the claim itself, catastrophes impact entire communities. For this reason, Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance dispatches catastrophe response teams that set up on-site to help policyholders and handle large volumes of claims.

Are catastrophe claims handled differently than regular claims?

The basic claims process is handled the same, but KFB responds with great urgency — we realize when a major catastrophe strikes, the entire community is affected. Our catastrophe teams provide on-site service, including money to pay for our policyholders’ immediate expenses.

Is spoiled food covered?

Depending on your individual policy coverage, spoiled food may be covered. Unlike other insurance companies, Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance does not have a deductible on food spoilage coverage. Contact your local Kentucky Farm Bureau agent or claims representative to see if you’re covered.

What if my home is uninhabitable? Is a hotel stay covered?

If your policy has Additional Living Expenses coverage and a direct physical loss makes your home uninhabitable, then we will pay for the reasonable increase in living expenses necessary to maintain your normal standard of living. Check your policy for coverage and limits. Keep receipts for additional living expenses you pay out of pocket. A claims representative or your local Kentucky Farm Bureau agent can answer any questions about this coverage.

A tree fell on my home. Is the damage covered under my homeowners policy?

If a tree falls on your home or building, the damage will typically be covered under your homeowners policy.

A tree fell on my car. Is the damage covered under my homeowners policy?

If your tree fell on your car and has caused damage, it’s not covered under your homeowners policy, but may be covered under the Other Than Collision (OTC) coverage of your auto policy, if you purchased OTC coverage. If your neighbor’s tree fell on your car and caused damage, your auto policy typically covers the damage under OTC coverage, if you purchased OTC coverage. Contact your local Kentucky Farm Bureau agent or claims representative for more information.

Does my homeowners policy cover tree limb and debris removal from my yard after a storm?

If the branches fall on and damage a covered dwelling or structure, then removal is typically covered. If the branches and debris simply fall into your yard, there is no coverage for removal and pick up.

My tree fell on my neighbor's house. Does my insurance cover the repair?

Both parties should file an insurance claim with their respective insurer. We will investigate the claim to determine liability and if it is a covered loss under your policy. 

My home has been damaged by a flood. Am I covered?

In Kentucky, flood insurance is a Federal program and not administered by Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance. Many of our agents sell flood insurance through this federal program, but the coverage is not administered by Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance. If you have a separate flood insurance policy, you should be covered for flood-related damages and can report a claim by calling your agent. You can also report the claim online at and choosing the “report a claim” option.  They can select this option without having to sign into the website. You can also file a flood insurance claim by calling 1-800-647-8052 from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST.  Learn more about this program at the program’s official website:

When will damage be inspected?

We try to prioritize inspections based on severity of need and will respond in a timely manner. 

Should I wait for an adjuster before beginning repairs?

We know you're eager to start putting your home back together, and you should take steps to protect your property from further damage – cover broken windows and gaps in the roof or exterior walls, etc. Otherwise it is important for an inspection by a claims representative to occur to identify all of the damages that may be covered by your policy, ensuring the estimate for damages is accurate. 

Does KFB recommend contractors?

KFB does not recommend contractors.  However, your local Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance agent or adjuster may be able to provide you with some names of local contractors in your area.

Can I choose the contractor who repairs my property?

Yes. We suggest you seek out contractors with a proven reputation and track record in your area. To help ensure you choose a reliable contractor, we recommend the following steps:

  • Get recommendations from friends, relatives and business associates.
  • Get references from contractors you interview and check those references.
  • Contact your local Better Business Bureau office or website for information on contractors you’re considering.
  • Don’t sign a contract until you’ve reviewed it carefully and have agreed to payment terms.
  • Make sure the contractor has an active license in your state.
  • Make sure the contractor has been doing business in your area for some time. Large storms often lure out-of-state contractors to Kentucky who may be “here today, gone tomorrow”.

How do I check the status of a catastrophe claim?

To check the status of your claim, please call your adjuster or the Regional Claim Office nearest you.

What if the contractor's estimate is higher than the adjuster's estimate?

If you obtain a contractor's estimate and it exceeds the estimate written by the Kentucky Farm Bureau claims representative, we ask that you submit that estimate to your Kentucky Farm Bureau claims representative. He or she will review it and will discuss any adjustments with your contractor. 

To whom do I pay the deductible?

Your deductible will be subtracted from the amount of your loss before we issue a settlement payment. You are responsible to pay the amount of your deductible to your contractor once repairs are complete. 

I have replacement cost coverage. Why did you show depreciation on the estimate?

Claims are usually settled at Actual Cash Value which is replacement cost less depreciation based on the age of the damage item(s).  If there is replacement cost coverage for the damage, we will pay up to the depreciated amount on each item or up to your coverage limits once you have repaired or replaced the covered item(s).  Ask your local Kentucky Farm Bureau agent about specific coverage or claim.

My settlement check is made payable to both me and my mortgage company. Why? How do I get it endorsed so I can get the cash needed for repairs?

When you have a mortgage on your home, settlement checks are typically made payable to both you and your mortgage company. Contact your mortgage company to learn how to obtain their signature on the check. 

What if I find damage at a later date?

Contact your claims representative for an additional inspection to see if the damage is covered by your policy.