Accident checklist from Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance
How to Avoid an Accident
- Leave plenty of space between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
- Be aware of your driving environment at all times. Remember that cell phone conversations can be a dangerous distraction from the business of driving safely.
- Be aware that the first few minutes of rain falling on dry pavement will bring oil to the surface and result in slick driving conditions.
- Plan your route ahead of time, so that sudden stops and turns can be avoided.
- If you skid, steer in the direction the rear of your car is sliding and tap your brake lightly.
What to Do if You are Involved in an Accident
- Stop and identify yourself.
- Notify the police.
- Write down the name, address, phone number, and insurance company of the driver(s) of the other vehicle(s).
- Record the make and model of the other vehicle(s), the license number(s), and where the damage occurred.
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone except the police and an authorized representative of your insurance company.
- Notify your insurance company.
Representations contained in this web page are for illustration purposes only. Coverage availability is subject to eligibility and other qualifications. Please consult your policy for actual contract coverage and exclusions. AD-2 (03/11)
« Back to the Automobile page