Do you know what to do after a car crash?
If you are involved in an auto accident, first and foremost, tend to the safety of everyone involved.
Let’s face it: No one expects to be involved in a car crash. An unanticipated auto accident can leave you a bit shaken up, so it’s important to brush up on the post-crash do’s and do-nots now while you’re level headed.
If you are involved in an auto accident, first and foremost, tend to the safety of everyone involved. Once it is safe to do so, here are some other actions you can take to make the claims process run smoothly for you:
- Seek medical attention if you are injured. There may be coverage available to you for this under your auto policy.
- Contact the local authorities. Obtain a police report if possible – even if the accident or damage is minor.
- Get details from all drivers and passengers involved. Count the total number of people in all vehicles involved in the accident and obtain their names, addresses, phone numbers and license numbers.
- Get the names, phone numbers and addresses of any witnesses present.
- If your vehicle is being towed, find out where. It’s important to get the phone number and location of the wrecker service that tows your vehicle or the repair facility that it’s taken to.
- Take photos at the scene, including damage to the vehicles involved and the scene of the accident. Do not put yourself or others at risk, and only snap photos if it is safe to do so.
- Report the claim by calling your local Kentucky Farm Bureau agent’s office or by calling the after-hours claims reporting hotline. The process will go a lot smoother if you have the following information at-the-ready:
- Your Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance auto policy number
- Name and contact phone number for all of the involved parties including owners, drivers, and passengers of all vehicles involved, witnesses, and any other involved parties, including the wrecker service or repair shop where your vehicle has been towed.
- List of vehicles/property involved
- Date and time the loss occurred
- Location of the loss or accident
- A description of what happened
- Description of damage and/or injuries
- Police report number
For additional information about what will take place after you file an auto claim with Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance, visit our claim FAQ page here.
>> In Kentucky, there’s so much to live for. Join us in driving distraction-free.
To learn more about distracted driving’s prevalence in the Bluegrass State, click here.