KY & U.S. Crop Conditions/Progress - September 4, 2012

Posted on Sep 4, 2012
 

For the 18 major States:

Corn:   Mature: 41% vs 15% last year and 16% for the 5-year average. (KY=78%)  Harvest: 10% vs 3% last year and 3% on average.  (KY=37%)   Condition is unchanged from last week.

Soybean:   Dropping Leaves: 19% vs 5% last year and 9% for the 5-yr avg.   Condition remains stable. 

KENTUCKY CROP CONDITIONS AND PROGRESS  Issued 4:00 P.M., September 4, 2012

AGRICULTURAL NEWS: Kentucky experienced 6.0 days suitable for fieldwork out of a possible seven this past week. Rain for the week totaled 1.25 inches, 0.51 inches above normal, and most of that occurred this past weekend from the remnants of Hurricane Isaac. Temperatures for the period averaged 78 degrees across the state which is 4 degrees warmer than normal and 6 degrees warmer than last week.

Topsoil moisture was rated 27 percent very short, 37 percent short, 34 percent adequate and 2 percent surplus.

Subsoil moisture was rated 37 percent very short, 39 percent short, 23 percent adequate and 1 percent surplus. There have been a few reports of fall army worms in the western part of the State in conjunction with the grain harvest.

 CROPS: As of Sunday September 2nd, condition of the corn crop was rated as 45 percent very poor, 35 percent poor, 14 percent fair, 5 percent good and 1 percent excellent. Ninety-three percent of the corn reached the dent stage, compared with 67 percent last year and 82 percent for the five-year average. Seventy-eight percent of the corn has reached the mature stage, compared with the five-year average of 49 percent. Thirty-seven percent of the corn has been harvested, compared with last year’s 5 percent and the five-year average of 11 percent.

Soybeans setting pods reached 92 percent, compared with 88 percent last year and 92 percent for the five-year average. Twenty-two percent of the soybeans were reported to be dropping their leaves, compared to 8 percent last year and 10 percent for the five-year average. Soybeans rated as mature were reported at 5 percent. Condition of the soybean crop was reported as 20 percent very poor, 27 percent poor, 28 percent fair, 21 percent good and 4 percent excellent.

 TOBACCO: Set tobacco condition was rated at 7 percent very poor, 13 percent poor, 29 percent fair, 39 percent good, and 12 percent excellent. There have been random reports of black shank in the fields. Burley tobacco topped was 83 percent, compared with 91 percent last year and 95 percent for the five-year average.  Thirty-four percent of the burley tobacco has been cut, compared to 45 percent last year, and 49 percent for the five-year average.  Forty percent of the dark tobacco has been cut, compared to 46 percent last year and 48 percent for the five-year average.

Housed tobacco condition was rated at 4 percent very poor, 8 percent poor, 28 percent fair, 49 percent good, and 11 percent excellent.  Of the tobacco which has been housed, eight percent is showing evidence of houseburn.

 OTHER CROPS AND PASTURE: Pasture conditions were rated as 27 percent very poor, 30 percent poor, 28 percent fair, 14 percent good, and 1 percent excellent. This past weekend’s rain was very beneficial, but more precipitation is needed to restore the pasture base.

 

 

Tagged Post Topics Include: Market updates