Kentucky Farm Bureau 2017 State Legislative Priority Issues
AGRICULTURE PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
- Maintain allocating 50% of the Master Settlement Agreement funds to the Agricultural Development Board, and funds be spent for the purpose of improving the net farm income of individual farmers in production agriculture.
- Support continued funding of the Soil Erosion & Water Quality Cost-Share Program.
- Support an efficient, well-administered and adequately financed Kentucky Department of Agriculture.
- Recommend sufficient funding be made available to maintain a strong grain elevator inspection program for the protection of farmers, and protect the farmer-financed Grain Insurance Program.
- Kentucky’s tax code should be reformed based on sound economic principles to create a more competitive business climate.
- Strongly oppose freezing the state real property tax rate.
- Support the current provisions of House Bill 44 (KRS 132.010). Revenue from property taxes should continue to be limited to 4% plus new growth. Proposals to exceed 4% should automatically go to the voters.
- Maintain Kentucky’s sales tax exemptions for production agriculture.
HIGHWAYS, ROADS, AND BRIDGES
- Support the rural secondary and county road aid programs and continuation of the 22.2% allocation of the state gasoline tax revenue for rural roads.
- Support the Kentucky Water Resources Board and advocate a coordinated effort to manage water resource projects across the Commonwealth.
- State water resource policy and regulations should be based on adequate scientific research data.
- Seek effective wildlife management that will reduce the wildlife population in an effort to alleviate continued crop and livestock losses, automobile accidents, human injuries, and loss of life.
- Support broadband and high speed internet service being available for the benefit of all Kentuckians.
- Oppose any agency exceeding legislative intent in the implementation of regulations.
- Oppose the power of eminent domain being used to take private property for private use.
- Support forestry initiatives that enhance the economy and create opportunities for woodland owners.