Kentucky Farm Bureau 2018 National Priority Issues
NATIONAL FARM POLICY
- Federal crop insurance programs should be maintained at current levels to provide an effective safety net for agriculture.
- Support crop insurance initiatives to maintain the integrity of crop insurance.
- Support NRCS assistance for the development of additional water resources for irrigation and livestock use.
- Support modifying USDA Rural Development broadband programs to increase access to broadband service that meets or exceeds FCC standards.
IMMIGRATION & FARM LABOR REFORM
- Support immigration reform that includes restructuring the H-2A program to streamline the process making it more reliable, economical and simple for farmers to participate.
- Support development of an effective migrant worker program to address labor needs within the livestock industry.
- Support fair and open multilateral trade agreements that will open new markets and expand existing markets for U.S. agricultural products.
- Support a thorough regulatory review to ensure regulations do not impose an undue economic burden on any segment of society and the regulatory process is transparent and results achievable.
- All regulations should be based on sound, peer-reviewed scientific data that can be replicated.
- Support congressional oversight of federal agency regulatory actions to ensure rules and regulations do not exceed the intent and authority of federal law.
HEALTH CARE REFORM
- Support changes to current health care law that will stabilize the market, encourage competition that will reduce health care costs and increase consumer choice.
- Support increased access to Association Health Plans.
- In order to protect the future integrity of our nation’s economy it is in our best interest to address budget deficits, which erode our ability to remain fiscally stable with the goal of reaching a balanced budget.
- Federal tax code should be reformed based on sound economic principles to create a more competitive business climate.
- Support a producer’s right to protect livestock and property against nuisance wildlife predation.
- Support a nationwide depredation order, or safe harbor provision, to take black vultures.