KENTUCKY FARM BUREAU 2023 NATIONAL PRIORITY ISSUES
NATIONAL FARM POLICY
- Federal crop insurance programs should be maintained at current levels to provide an effective safety net for agriculture.
- Support crop insurance initiatives to maintain the integrity of crop insurance.
- Support NRCS assistance for the development of additional water resources for irrigation and livestock use.
- Support modifying USDA Rural Development broadband programs to increase access to broadband service that meets or exceeds FCC standards.
- Support fair and open multilateral trade agreements that will open new markets and expand existing markets for U.S. agricultural products.
- Support maintenance and improvement of transportation infrastructure, including rural highways, lock and dam systems, riverports, and railroads.
- Support a thorough regulatory review to ensure regulations do not impose an undue economic burden on any segment of society and the regulatory process is transparent and results achievable.
- All regulations should be based on sound, peer-reviewed scientific data that can be replicated.
- Support congressional oversight of federal agency regulatory actions to ensure rules and regulations do not exceed the intent and authority of federal law.
IMMIGRATION AND FARM LABOR REFORM
- Support immigration reform that restructures the H-2A program to make it more streamlined, reliable, and economical, in addition to limiting legal liability for farmers.
- Support increasing production of domestic fuels and fertilizer to ensure availability and affordability.
HEALTH CARE REFORM
- Support changes to current health care law that will stabilize the market, encourage competition that will reduce health care costs and increase consumer choice.
- In order to protect the future integrity of our nation’s economy it is in our best interest to address budget deficits, which erode our ability to remain fiscally stable with the goal of reaching a balanced budget.
- Federal tax code should be reformed based on sound economic principles to create a more competitive business climate.
- Oppose elimination of the stepped-up basis and lowering of the current exemption for federal estate taxes.
- Support a producer’s right to protect livestock and property against nuisance wildlife predation.
- Support a nationwide depredation order, or safe harbor provision, to take black vultures.