For the past thirty three years, Kentucky Farm Bureau has been investing in our state’s youth through the Institute for Future Agricultural Leaders (IFAL) Program. IFAL is a unique five-day summer leadership conference that exposes students to college life and explores different fields of study for careers in agriculture. IFAL allows high school juniors to choose between separate conferences at two of Kentucky’s premier universities. This year’s IFAL conferences will be held June 16-20, 2019, at Murray State University in Murray and June 23-27, 2019, at the University of Kentucky in Lexington.
The IFAL program helps students become more familiar with Farm Bureau, promote agricultural-related career choices, provide leadership development opportunities, and promote each participating university.
- Students may state their preference concerning which IFAL session they wish to attend. However, stating a preference does not guarantee selection to a specific conference. No one will be assigned to an IFAL conference they did not initially select without personal contact with, and approval from, the student or a family member.
- The conference is only for students who are currently high school juniors.
- Kentucky Farm Bureau and the universities will only accept the 45 most qualified applicants for each IFAL conference, so be selective in whom you nominate. The student must be enrolled in a pre-college curriculum.
- County Farm Bureaus may nominate up to four students. Applications must be received in the State Office by Friday, April 12, 2019 to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Students should be transported to and from IFAL by a parent, guardian, youth advisor or Farm Bureau representative. If a student drives, his or her car keys must be given to the Farm Bureau representative on-site for safekeeping.
- If the application is signed by a Farm Bureau official in your county, that is your pledge to pay the student’s registration fee. We will bill each county that participates, so please do not send any money until you receive an invoice from us. The fee is $350.00 per participant.
If you have any questions, please contact Jackson Tolle at (502) 495-5000, ext. 7374, or via e-mail at Jackson.Tolle@kyfb.com.